Join the HCI Energy Team
powering your career growth
At HCI Energy, we’re committed to collaborating, innovating and delivering reliable energy to the communities and companies who need it most. To do so, we continue to add talented, driven, diverse professionals to our team who are passionate about solving the types of problems that can make a true difference in the quality of life for people around the globe.
We believe in providing our team with the tools and technology they need to tackle challenges head on in a supportive environment where personal and professional growth are encouraged. We work hard, recognize our team’s contributions and celebrate our successes. If you’re looking for an opportunity to join a company with an incredible growth trajectory in its future, review our open positions and email your resume with cover letter to [email protected].
HCI Energy is seeking a Power Systems/Controls Engineer in the Kansas City area to support engineering, construction and operations for small- to large-scale battery energy storage projects. The ideal candidate is excited about working on the cutting edge of new clean energy technology, and will be able to contribute to the development, technical design, procurement, engineering, construction management, commissioning and operation of energy storage projects connected to the high voltage transmission system.
Our team in the U.S. Midwest is a small, experienced, and collaborative group of professionals in the electric power business with diverse backgrounds including development, finance, engineering, control systems, real estate, and transmission planning. Our office is located in Lenexa, KS with easy access from Interstate 35 and U.S. Highway 69. Some travel and/or on-site construction engineering and commissioning may be required in this role.
This is a highly technical role and we are seeking an individual who is passionate about the space and has strong power systems engineering exigence, more specifically with large scale energy storage systems and solar projects. This is an exciting opportunity to join a modern and dynamic group of energy storage and power system specialists who are looking to make a difference within the renewable energy space.
The scope of our work includes conceptual process engineering, engineering and design, project and construction management, automation, procurement, safety management, project controls, feasibility studies, due diligence analysis, and environmental support. Candidate must possess a high level of competency in all areas of DC Power Engineering and apply this knowledge or skill in resolving problems.
The Electrical Engineer will be responsible for creating designs for multiple projects including, but not limited to:
- medium and low voltage one-line diagrams
- grounding, lighting and cable tray plans
- equipment specifying
- electrical studies
A BS in Electrical Engineering and a Professional Engineering License (P.E.) are required, in addition to a background in Electrical Engineering, Controls Engineering or Power Systems. Additionally, the ideal candidate will:
- Have experience in power distribution to the end-user
- Possess 5+ years professional experience in the energy industry
- Be highly proficient in power electronics, resonant converters and zero voltage switching
- Have a professional interest in energy technologies and battery energy storage
- Have completed engineering work associated with the addition or removal of communications power equipment (rectifiers, batteries, UPS systems, etc.); running, lacing and terminating power and ground cable; alarm wiring and connections; construction of cable racking infrastructure and mounting bays
- Have experience with VRLA batteries, Flooded Batteries, other batteries and DC Power Systems including Eltek/ Delta, Lineage/ABB and Vertiv among others
- Follow industry and customer standards relative to ampacity, grounding, cable sizing, etc.; prepare and submit Method of Procedures
- Have familiarity with codes and standards to include the NEC
- Demonstrate the ability to perform walk-throughs, and create project estimates, material lists, and design packages
- Have good verbal and written communication skills
- Be a fast learner across multiple disciplines
- Have the ability to read and review engineering drawings (single line diagrams, three line diagrams, construction drawings), network diagrams, SCADA documentation, etc.
- Possess experience in the construction and commissioning of electric power projects
- Have technology experience across storage, solar, wind, gas, etc.
- Possess experience in creating detailed engineering packages and demonstrate an ability to interface with customer and field representatives to monitor all installation requirements
- Have an extensive understanding of communications power procedures and be proficient in use of Microsoft Word, Excel, Visio and AutoCAD
Preferred candidates will have a minimum of 5 years of experience in DC power/project engineering in the telecommunications field, medium voltage experience and a good driving record. AC power knowledge/experience is a plus.
Candidates must be able sit at a desk and/or stand for several hours. They must also be able to perform tasks that require moving objects up to 50 pounds.
Dental, Vision, 401(k)
$75,000 – $100,000
Utilities, Oil & Energy,
Renewables & Environmental